Morgan's Point, Texas, was founded by Colonel James Morgan, the owner of Morgan's Point Plantation. On April 18, 1836, Emily, a former slave of Colonel Morgan's, was helping to load a flatboat when Santa Anna's army arrived. Emily, a comely young woman, was made a personal servant of Santa Anna. Bollaert, the British ethnologist who said that Emily was with Santa Anna at the start of the battle, got his story during a visit he paid to Emily's master, James Morgan, at New Washington. Bollaert's information indicated that the Battle of San Jacinto was probably lost by the Mexicans owing to the influence of a mulatto girl, Emily, belonging to Colonel James Morgan. She was closeted in the tent at 4:30 pm, April 21, 1836, with General Santa Anna at the time the cry went up: "The enemy! They come!" She detained Santa Anna long enough that order could not readily be restored, and General Sam Houston's Texian army won the day, and Texas' Independence. The City of Morgan's Point was incorporated in 1949.
The Morgan's Point Museum is located at 1810 E. Barbours Cut Blvd. Access to the museum is by appointment. To arrange a tour of the museum, please call City Hall at 281-471-2171.
The Morgan's Point Cemetery is one of the oldest continuously operated cemeteries in Harris County. It is maintained by the City of Morgan's Point. Our founder, James Morgan is buried here.
An African-American who may have had the greatest influence on Texas history was a young mulatto woman, Emily Morgan, who belonged to Colonel James Morgan. It is believed that the great beauty inspired the famous folksong, "The Yellow Rose of Texas," from the early days of Texas independence to the Civil War through World War II. It has been on the lips of men singing of the pretty girl in his homeward dreams. Though the stirring tune could originally have been written by a free Bermudan to Emily, the universal theme undisputedly reflects the feelings of Texas and people everywhere. The ghost of Emily Morgan supposedly walks the Battleground every San Jacinto Day.
The beautiful John A. Grimes park is located next to City Hall. It is a wooded park that provides plenty of shade. This park is accessible to the disabled and contains picnic sites for the able bodied and disabled user. The Park is dedicated to the memory of Mayor, John A. Grimes.
There are a number of historic homes in our city that together make up the Morgan's Point National Historic District. When strolling about the town, you can find these fine old homes by looking for markers like this one.